All societies record their current balance date on the Incorporated Societies Register. Societies registered under the Incorporated Societies Act 1908 (1908 Act) also record their AGM month on the register. This information is not displayed to the public, but it is used by the Registrar to help ensure your society files its annual financial statements – and if applicable its annual returns – on time. So, it’s important that the register has the current information.
If your society’s balance date is recorded in its set of rules or constitution, to change it you will also need to follow the process for amending your society’s rules or constitution.
To change your AGM month or balance date on the register, you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Incorporated Societies Register
- authority to manage information on behalf of your incorporated society.
Your society must also be up to date with the filing of all its financial statements (and for 2022 Act societies this includes its annual returns). If you need more time to file any outstanding statements or returns, please request an extension.
How to update your AGM month or balance date
- Log in to your online services account.
- On the dashboard, select your incorporated society from ‘My Businesses’.
- On the 'View Details' page, select the ‘General Details’ tab, then the ‘Change Balance Date’ button.
1908 Act societies also have the option of selecting the ‘Change AGM Month’ button.
- Use the drop-down list to select the new ‘Balance date’
- If appropriate, 1908 Act societies can also select the new month for ‘AGM month’.
- Complete the signatory details and select ‘Submit’.
Once submitted, the changes are applied immediately.Update details for a society