New legislation for societies
On 5 October 2023, the Incorporated Societies Act 2022 (the 2022 Act) came into force.
- Existing incorporated societies (those incorporated under the Incorporated Societies Act 1908) will need to reregister under the 2022 Act if they want to remain as an incorporated society.
- New societies wanting to register will automatically register under the 2022 Act.
Starting a society
To incorporate a new society you need to —
- complete an online application,
- upload your constitution, and
- pay the application fee $88.89 (plus GST).
Before you apply, there are a few things you need to do.
What societies must file each year
Your society must file a copy of its financial statements with us every year unless it's registered with Charities Services. These records help to show that your society is still operating, and therefore, should remain on the register.
Societies registered under the Incorporated Societies Act 2022 must also complete an annual return.
Societies must keep the register up to date
Once you've registered your incorporated society, keep its information up to date on the register, including —
- the society's contact details,
- details of its officers, and
- its rules or constitution.