If your incorporated society has been dissolved, you can apply to have it restored to the register.
An incorporated society applying to be restored to the register must demonstrate that the society was dissolved in error.
Applications by the society can be made online, following the steps below, or manually, by completing the required forms and returning them to us in the post, or by email.
To apply online to have a society restored to the register, you'll need:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Companies Office
- authority to manage information on behalf of the incorporated society.
What you’ll need to provide
Societies applying online must submit:
- the most recent annual financial statements yet to be filed, together with the financial statements cover sheet (Form IS4)
- the restoration fee of $177.78 (plus GST)
- If the application is based on the grounds that the society was operating at the time it was dissolved, you’ll also need to provide documentation showing this to be so, for example, financial records, meeting minutes, or legal documents.
How to apply online
A society applying online to be restored to the register should follow these steps.
- Log in to your online services account.
- Search for the society you wish to restore and click on its name to view its details.
- On the 'View Details' page, from the ‘Maintain Incorporated Society’ menu, select ‘Request to Restore’.
- Select the applicant type from the drop-down menu.
- On the first tab of the application, provide the reason for restoration, as well evidence of operation, any supporting documents, and the society's most recent outstanding financial statements (if any). You can also change the society’s AGM month or balance date on this tab.
- On the ‘Addresses’ tab, confirm if the current addresses and contact details are correct, or upload Form IS3 with your new address details.
- On the ‘Officers’ tab, confirm if the current officer details are correct, or upload Form IS3 with the new details.
- On the 'Review' tab, check that the information you've provided is correct, and make any necessary changes.
- Complete the signatory details and select 'Apply' to submit the form.
- Pay the restoration fee and select 'OK'.
If you’re applying manually
An incorporated society submitting a request manually (by post or email) must complete paper forms.
What you'll need to provide
Societies applying manually need to provide:
- a formal application in writing that the society be restored (Form IS6)
- the most recent annual financial statement yet to be filed, together with the financial statements cover sheet (Form IS4)
- the restoration fee of $177.78 (plus GST)
- If the application is based on the grounds that the society was operating at the time it was dissolved, you’ll also need to provide documentation showing this to be so, for example, financial records, meeting minutes or legal documents.
- If your society’s rules have changed and you have yet to inform us, you may also wish to provide a signed copy of the rule changes, along with the alteration of rules certificate; or submit a full set of rules if we do not hold a copy on the register.
Extra information required if the rules need to be updated
If your society’s rules have changed and you have yet to inform us, you may also wish to provide a signed copy of the rule changes, along with the alteration of rules certificate (Form IS2); or submit a full set of rules if we do not hold a copy on the register.
Extra information required if other details need to be updated
If any of the addresses for the society have changed or the officer details need to be updated you will also need to advise us of the new details. You should complete Form IS3 to update addresses or officer details.
How to submit your request manually
An incorporated society submitting a request manually, should follow these steps:
- Download the application form (Form IS6 – Request to restore an incorporated society to the register).
- Complete the form and attach the supporting documentation (as described above).
Send your completed form, documents and payment (see form for options) to us.
By post to —
Private Bag 92061
Victoria Street West
or by email to email@example.com
What happens next?
- Applications are reviewed to ensure that all requirements have been met, all necessary documents have been submitted, and that the restoration fee has been paid.
- If the application is successful, the incorporated society will be immediately restored to the register. An application may take longer to process where we require further information.
- The applicant will be notified by letter.
- The Registrar will give public notice of all restored societies in the New Zealand Gazette and on our website.
For further information
If you'd like to know more about restoring an incorporated society, read section 28 of the Incorporated Societies Act 1908.