Incorporated societies must file a copy of their financial statements with the Companies Office each year (unless registered with Charities Services). If your society is registered under the Incorporated Societies Act 2022 (2022 Act) if must also complete an annual return.
If there are specific circumstances that mean you need more time to file your financial statements or financial statements and annual return, you can apply for a filing extension. You’ll need to give a reason for the extension and provide supporting documentation where applicable.
How to apply for a filing extension
To request a filing extension, you will need:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account for the Incorporated Societies Register
- authority to manage information on behalf of the society
Step by step
- Log in to your online services account.
- On your dashboard, under ‘My Businesses’, select the incorporated society for which you wish to request a filing extension
- On the 'View Details' page, from the ‘Maintain Incorporated Society’ menu, select
- ‘Request an Extension for Filing a Financial Statement’ (if it's a 1908 Act society), or
- ‘Request an Extension for Filing an Annual Return and Financial Statements’ (if it’s a 2022 Act society).
- On the request form, provide a reason for the extension, and any supporting documents, if required.
- Select ‘Submit’.
What happens next
Once we have received and reviewed your application for an extension, we will let you know our decision. If your request is granted, we’ll confirm how long the extension will be.