Running your incorporated society
- Your responsibilities What you’re required to do once you’ve registered your society.
- Complying with your society's rules The importance of rules when running an incorporated society.
- Holding meetings The requirements for an incorporated society holding meetings.
- Restrictions on money-making activities What an incorporated society can and can't do with the money it makes.
- Entering into contracts What's required of an incorporated society when entering into contracts.
- Records you should keep Records you'll need to keep as an incorporated society.
- Using our Constitution Builder tool Our Constitution Builder is a ‘do-it-yourself’ online tool for drafting or revising your society’s rules.
Other help topics
Getting started on the register
Find out about incorporated societies and the Incorporated Societies Register, and what's needed to register and maintain an incorporated society in New Zealand.
Searching the Incorporated Societies Register
Find out how to search our registers for information about incorporated societies, and other business entities
Starting an incorporated society
To incorporate a society in New Zealand you must submit an application, along with the required documents, and pay a registration fee.
Keeping society details up to date
Once you've registered your incorporated society, you'll need to file annual financial statements and update other society details when they change.
- Confirming your authority to manage information
- Filing annual financial statements
- Updating your society's details on the register
- Changing your society's rules or name
- Updating names to include macrons
- Using our Constitution Builder tool
- Changing your AGM month and balance date
- Requesting a correction to the register
Ending an incorporated society
When an incorporated society reaches the end of its 'life', it must be wound up and removed from the register. There are two ways this can be done – by dissolving the society, or having it liquidated.
Restoring an incorporated society to the register
An application can be made to us to have an incorporated society restored to the register, by the society itself, or by a creditor. You'll need to provide evidence to support your application.
Forms and fees
Forms you'll need to register your incorporated society and keep it up to date, along with a schedule of fees payable.
Managing your online account
Your online services account allows you to update and manage personal and organisation account details from your online dashboard.